White Rock Lake Wildfire Update

Friday, August 27, 2021 - 4:20pm

News release no. 44 - Central Okanagan, B.C. — BC Wildfire Service says the White Rock Lake wildfire remains active and out of control at an estimated size of 81,483 hectares. The slight decrease in size is due to further accurate mapping on the southeast flank.

Crews have seen positive progress along all flanks of the fire and are currently completing Danger Tree Assessments along the west flank of the fire in preparation for having military personnel commence patrolling in the area tomorrow.  

The Evacuation Order for 1,316 properties and 850 properties on Alert, in the North Westside communities within the Regional District of the Central Okanagan, remains unchanged. Residents can visit cordemergency.ca/map to determine if their property is on Order or Alert.

Crews have confirmed that the wildfire has directly impacted 78 properties to date and the Central Okanagan Emergency Operations Centre has contacted most Central Okanagan owners whose properties have sustained significant structural damage. Property assessment work is ongoing as conditions allow, and is subject to change as crews gain further access to affected areas.

“If you have been evacuated and you carry homeowner or tenant insurance, it is important that you contact your insurance provider if you haven’t already done so,” says Doug Gilchrist, Regional EOC Director. “Those under order will most likely have some level of damage that could cause the home to be temporarily unfit for occupancy, or unsafe to live in, until remediation work can be undertaken.”

Central Okanagan evacuees can find out more about Emergency Support Services by calling 250-469-8512 or by visiting the Central Okanagan ESS Reception Centre at 1480 Sutherland Avenue, Kelowna, open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. The following rules apply:

  • Evacuated residents WITH homeowner or tenant insurance will not be given an extension for coverage and should immediately contact their insurance provider to find out what coverage is available.
  • Evacuated residents WITHOUT homeowner or tenant insurance may receive support and should contact Emergency Support Services.

You can visit the Insurance Bureau of Canada for more information on the process of an insurance claim as a result of a BC wildfire at www.ibc.ca/ns/disaster/bcwildfire.

There are eligibility requirements for emergency support services. Homeowner or tenant insurance may provide greater support than the Emergency Support Services program. Check with your insurer to determine what may be available to you. For details on eligibility, see the Evacuee Living Assistance Policy (PDF, 378KB).

For more information about this wildfire, visit cordemergency.ca, BC Wildfire Services and sign up for e-updates, follow the Central Okanagan Emergency Operations Centre on facebook.com/cordemergency or twitter.com/CO_emerg or call the information line at 250-469-8490.