White Rock Lake Wildfire prompts Evacuation Alert RDCO West Electoral Area
News Release No. 3, Central Okanagan, B.C. – The White Rock Lake Wildfire has prompted an Evacuation Alert for the Regional District of the Central Okanagan (RDCO) West Electoral Area.
All properties accessed from Westside Road located between Westshore Estates and Bear Forest Service Road (north of Traders Cove) are on Evacuation Alert. A map showing affected properties can be viewed at cordemergency.ca/map.
All public lands located north of Bear and Esperon Forest Service road(s) are also on Evacuation Alert. Note that Traders Cove IS NOT included in this Evacuation Alert.
Residents and/or campers in the area are advised to be ready to leave their home at a moment’s notice. They should be prepared to be away from their home for an extended period of time, make arrangements for pets and pack essential items such as medicines and important documents.
Emergency Operations Centre staff are working with other response agencies to manage the situation and minimize the impacts, however residents of the area should be prepared to obey an evacuation order. Visit cordemergency.ca for information on how to be prepared.
In the Central Okanagan and across the Province, the Emergency Support Services (ESS) program now offers an an online registration system at ess.bc.ca for those on Evacuation Alert or Order. In-person registration will still be available for those without computer access or in the event of a power outage affecting online services. Even if registered, evacuees in the Central Okanagan who require services (food, lodging, etc.) will still need to visit an Evacuation Reception Centre in order to receive the appropriate supplier forms as specific paperwork is required in order to access these services.
New information will be released to the public and media as soon as it becomes available.
Emergency response personnel request that the public:
- Avoid the area so emergency responders can effectively perform their duties.
- To report an emergency, including threat of life, call 9-1-1.
- To report a wildfire, dial *5555 on your cell phone
- For up-to-date information on the situation, including a map, and to sign up for e-updates, visit cordemergency.ca
- Information will also be provided via twitter.com/CO_Emerg and facebook.com/CORDEmergency
- For more information, contact the information line at 250-469-8490 (local) or 1-877-569-8490 (toll-free)