Dock replacement and debris - News Release #112

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 2:58pm

While property owners may be eager to begin the process of clean up and recovery, including replacement or repairs of docks and floating infrastructure, local authorities advise that dock reconstruction and repair below the high water mark must follow the appropriate Provincial permitting process. Residents must not remove docks or floating infrastructure that has blown onto the foreshore until local authorities provide direction. Debris along the foreshore should remain in place to mitigate erosion due to wave action.


If large floating debris becomes a hazard affecting flood protection measures such as gabion basket, bladder dam systems and sandbag walls along the foreshore, notify Emergency Operations officials at 250-469-8490 immediately.


Property owners will need approval from the province for construction on Crown land (beginning at the established high water mark of 343 metres above sea level and extending to the lake) and they will be required to follow municipal bylaws.


The province’s Licence of Occupation contains requirements for the permitted length, shape, siting, setbacks and materials of docks. The provincial licence also states that docks, fences and walls must not block pedestrian access between the high water mark and the low water mark. For more information, check out the Province of BC webpage about private moorage.


Local municipalities rely on the provincial licence requirements for docks built on Crown land, along with some additional detail to ensure designs that cross public foreshore maintain public access. Property owners and building contactors will also need to ensure they adhere to the local municipality’s regulations and bylaws.


The Province has indicated that docks with non-conforming or unauthorized structures will not be allowed to rebuild those structures. The province has the power to enforce alterations to structures that do not comply with its Licence of Occupation for Crown land.


All dock, wall, fence repairs or reconstruction below the high-water mark must go through Front Counter BC at 1-877-855-3222. Any illegal or unauthorized activities must be reported to the provincial Conservation Officer Service at 1-877-952-7277.


For more information, visit the Ministry of Forestry, Lands and Natural Resource Operations Compliance & Enforcement site at


District of Peachland

Dock owners in Peachland are not required to work through the Province but instead can contact the District of Peachland directly with inquiries regarding the installation of a wharf or buoy. Visit or call the Planning Department at 250-767-3705.  


For more information, visit, sign up for e-updates or call the information line at 250-469-8490.


For municipal information such as boat launch, park and beach closures, and water quality advisories, visit their websites: