Be prepared

Emergency Management in BC is supported by a well practiced and highly regarded structure that involves your local communities developing Emergency Plans. During major incidents or emergencies, these local plans are supported by responders and staff at the local level, supported in turn by the Province through Emergency Management BC. In our region, these local programs are developed in a collaborative manner and a single plan for the Regional District of Central Okanagan ensures the highest level of support to residents. This plan has been used many times over the years in times of wildfire, freshet flooding or other major incidents.

However, even the best of plans by your local government can only do so much. It is up to you, the resident to follow our three steps to Emergency Preparedness at home or at work:

  1. Know the risks
  2. Make a plan
  3. Get a kit

There is some great information on Emergency Preparedness available. We recommend you start with either the Federal emergency preparedness home page or the Provincial emergency preparedness home page PreparedBC. Both sites provide great information on how you can be ready in the case of an emergency.


Other Preparedness Information

Although this site will be updated with any local information during a major emergency, there are a number of other agencies that may also have information of interest. Some suggested sites are: 

BC Wildfire Service (active fire information/fire bans)

Fire Smart (also through BC Wildfire)

River Forecast Centre (freshet/flooding/snow pillow information)

Fortis BC (power outages, gas emergencies)

BC Hydro (power outages)

Interior Health (Health/Drinking Water Advisories)

Government of Canada Okanagan Lake Levels


Wildland-Urban Interface Fire

Research has shown that a house with both a fire resistant roof and a FireSmart zone surrounding it is 85 percent more likely to survive a wildfire than one that is not so prepared. 

FireSmart Canada Manual