The Evacuation Alert issued earlier this morning for approximately 40-50 properties in the Wilsons Landing area remains in effect due to the potential danger from the wildfire in the area, with a handful of additional properties added on Westside Road.
Updated information has been provided regarding the status of Westside Road. At the request of the BC Wildfire Management Branch, the Ministry of Transportation has closed Westside Road from Bear Main Forest Service Road (south end of closure) through to Jenny Creek Subdivision at Browse Road (north end of closure). All traffic is being stopped at Bear Main Forest Service Road for northbound traffic, and all residents in the affected area are being advised to travel north through Vernon along Westside Road. For updated information on the status of the road please monitor the www.drivebc.ca website or the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure.
With the Evacuation Alert, residents in the following areas are advised to make preparations and be prepared to leave their homes on short notice.
The affected areas are:
· 1619,1625,1631,1639,1643,1649 Westside Road (new)
· 1655 - 2326 Westside Rd
· Browse Rd
· Bolton Rd
· Banff Rd
· Baird Rd
· Bancroft Rd
· Jenny Creek Rd
An Evacuation Alert means that residents in the affected areas are advised to be prepared to leave their homes with short notice in the event an Evacuation Order is declared.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO WHEN AN ALERT IS IN EFFECT
Upon notification of an ALERT, you should be prepared for the evacuation order by:
· Locating all family members or co-workers and designate a meeting place outside the evacuation area, should an evacuation be called while separated.
· Gathering essential items such as medications, eyeglasses, valuable papers (i.e. insurance), immediate care needs for dependants and, if you choose, keepsakes (photographs, etc). Have these items readily available for quick departure.
· Preparing to move any disabled persons and/or children.
· Moving pets and livestock to a safe area.
· Arranging to transport your household members or co-workers in the event of an evacuation order.
· Arranging accommodation for your family if possible. In the event of an evacuation, Reception Centres will be opened if required.
· Monitoring news sources for information on evacuation orders and locations of Reception Centres.
Further information will be issued should the situation change or visit the RDCO Emergency website at www.cordemergency.ca .
The BC Wildfire Management Branch says the fire is believed to have been ignited late Friday night in the steep area above the Wilsons Landing community, west of Westside Road. For more specific information regarding the status of the fire please visit www.bcwildfire.ca.
- 30 -