Regional District of Central Okanagan, B.C. –
The Regional District of Central Okanagan Emergency Operation Centre has issued an Evacuation Alert for some residents of the Wilsons Landing area of the potential danger due to the Wilsons Landing forest fire.
Based on overnight fire activity and potential daytime fire behaviour as advised by the BC Wildfire Management Branch, it would be prudent for residents living on the following streets to prepare to leave their homes on short notice.
The affected areas are:
· 1655 - 2326 Westside Rd
· Browse Rd
· Bolton Rd
· Banff Rd
· Baird Rd
· Bancroft Rd
· Jenny Creek Rd
An Evacuation Alert means that residents in the affected areas are advised to be prepared to leave their homes with short notice in the event an Evacuation Order is declared.
Residents will be given as much advance notice as possible prior to evacuation; however you may receive limited notice due to changing conditions.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO WHEN AN ALERT IS IN EFFECT
Upon notification of an ALERT, you should be prepared for the evacuation order by:
· Locating all family members or co-workers and designate a meeting place outside the evacuation area, should an evacuation be called while separated.
· Gathering essential items such as medications, eyeglasses, valuable papers (i.e. insurance), immediate care needs for dependants and, if you choose, keepsakes (photographs, etc). Have these items readily available for quick departure.
· Preparing to move any disabled persons and/or children.
· Moving pets and livestock to a safe area.
· Arranging to transport your household members or co-workers in the event of an evacuation order.
· Arranging accommodation for your family if possible. In the event of an evacuation, Reception Centres will be opened if required.
· Monitoring news sources for information on evacuation orders and locations of Reception Centres.
Further information will be issued should the situation change or visit the RDCO Emergency website at www.cordemergency.ca .
The BC Wildfire Management Branch says the fire is believed to have been ignited late Friday night in the steep area above the Wilsons Landing community, west of Westside Road. For more specific information regarding the status of the fire please visit www.bcwildfire.ca.
Every effort is being made to keep Westside Road open for traffic through the affected fire area.
Central Okanagan residents are reminded to prepare their families in advance for any possible evacuation as a result of emergencies such as a wildfire. You can get tips on preparing ‘Grab and Go’ kits for various emergency situations by visiting www.cordemergency.ca or the federal ‘Get Prepared’ website www.getprepared.ca.
- 30 -